The Kryptonians are a critically endangered species that was nearly destroyed when their home planet, Krypton, exploded from the instability of its core. Kryptonians get extra senses and abilities when near a younger and more powerful sun or if they are in the atmosphere of a planet containing Nitrogen.
On Krypton, using evidence provided by scientist Jor-El, the Ruling Council sentences three attempted insurrectionists, General Zod, Non and Ursa, to "eternal living death" in the Phantom Zone. Despite his eminence, Jor-El is unable to convince the Council of his belief that Krypton will soon explode. To save his infant son Kal-El, Jor-El launches a spacecraft containing the child towards Earth, a distant planet with a suitable atmosphere, and where Kal-El's dense molecular structure will give him superhuman powers. Shortly after the launch, Krypton is destroyed.
Kryptonians bone structure is almost identical to that of humans. In the planet Krypton's orbit or near a red sun, Kryptonians would have physical attributes nearly identical to humans. But if on a planet that has an atmosphere similar to Earth's or near a yellow sun, they would have many new abilities.
- Solar Battery: Kryptonians' cells absorb only yellow solar energy, and this in turn, fuels all of their powers and abilities. Their cells also store solar energy as well, allowing them to retain their powers under roofed structures or even at night, although they eventually need a yellow sun to recharge their powers. Kryptonians can also absorb solar energies of other class stars.
- Super Strength: As an adult Kryptonians are able to carry more than 1,000,000 tons.
- Super Speed: Kryptonians can run and fly at speeds faster than a military aircraft. Superman generally uses his super speed while flying to get places faster.
- Invulnerability: Kryptonians' body is nearly invulnerable. Missiles and guns have no effect on them.
- Super Vision: They also possesses a superior sensory arrangement of microscopic, telescopic, infrared and ultraviolet visual capabilities.
- Telescopic Vision: Kryptonians have the ability to focus their vision to see something at a great distance, without violating the laws of physics.
- Microscopic Vision: The ability to see extremely small objects and images down to the sub atomic level.
- X-Ray Vision: So far, it appears Kryptonians can see through anything. Kryptonians are able to focus his vision past layers of matter, literally seeing "through" them, possibly perceiving x-rays, cosmic rays or other forms of energy invisible to normal human vision which pass through Earth's atmosphere (and solid objects) after emission from stars.
- Heat Vision: Kryptonians have the ability to fire beams of intense heat at a target by looking at it with the conscious act of activating this power. Visually, the power is typically depicted as two beams of red light firing from their eyes. These beams can be made invisible, allowing Kryptonians to work undetected.
- Super Hearing: Kryptonians have incredible hearing at extreme variances of sound and pitch frequency, allowing them to pick up noises from across the globe. They have shown enough control to block out ambient sounds to focus on a specific source or frequency.
- Flight: Kryptonians can fly as long as they are not on Krypton.
It apears that Kryptonians could also cut their hair as easily in a yellow sun If a Kryptonian stayed on a planet with a yellow sun and a nitrogen rich atmosphere, their bodies will reject atmosphere similar to Krypton's.
Language and CultureEdit
Kryptonians have many similarities to humans. Kryptonians speak English, as many species do. It is possible that Humans learned the language from the Kryptonians. Kryptonian spelling, however, is different from any other species'. Their language is referred to as "Kryptonian", obviously after their race. They usually dress in skintight suits that have their family emblem on the chest. In battle they wear armor that also has their family emblem on the chest. Kryptonian women sometimes also wear earrings, like humans do.