|Portrayed by||Sarah Douglas|
Ursa was banished to the Phantom Zone along with General Zod and Non by Jor-El for attempting to overthrow the planet Krypton's government. They survived the planet's destruction and were blown off course in the same direction as Jor-El's son, towards Earth.
The explosion of a hydrogen bomb launched into space by Superman hit the Phantom Zone holding Ursa and the others, destroying it and releasing them, who went to Earth's moon. There they killed several US astronauts and Soviet cosmonauts. Upon reaching Earth, they discovered that they had the exact same powers as Superman, and naturally used them for evil, terrorizing the cities and even killing civilians.
She aided General Zod taking over the president's office, but the president told them that Superman would never kneel before him. Lex Luthor joined forces with them, offering to tell them the location of the Fortress of Solitude, but eventually they decided to kill him. Superman came to stop them from terrorizing the city. Their attacks were able to affect each other, but in the end, Superman was outnumbered and lost, retreating to the fortress. Luthor led Zod and his gang to there.
Superman tricked the three Kryptonians with multiple holograms, but when he had him in a headlock, Ursa threatened to tear Lois Lane limb from limb unless Superman released him. Luthor seemingly joined forces with Superman, who then told him to get Zod and his gang into the molecular chamber that would take away the powers of any Kryptonian. Luthor then told Zod about this, and Zod, threatening to kill innocent people otherwise, forced Superman to enter, with Luthor activating the device.
However, Superman, knowing Luthor was going to double cross him, switched the device so that its rays would affect those outside it and not inside; therefore Superman was safe while Zod, Ursa, and Non were stripped of all power. Zod made Superman kneel before him and told him to take his hand and swear eternal loyalty. Superman crushed Zod's hand, picked him up, and threw him into a wall, where he fell into an icy abyss to his death. Likewise, Lois turned around and punched Ursa, sending her to the same fate.
Powers and AbilitesEdit
Ursa's superhuman abilities are powered by the energy of Earth's yellow sun and are identical to Superman's.
- Super Strength: When Ursa is directly exposed to sunlight his strength levels are greatly increased.
- Flight: She is capable of self-propelled flight.
- Invulnerability: Ursa's invulnerability has also increased with his age. She is immune to human illnesses and bullets bounce off her. Ursa is also highly resistant to energy-based attacks.
- Super Healing: When Ursa is wounded, she heals quickly if not instantaneously.
- Super Speed: Ursa can run at speeds faster than the speed of sound. She emits an aura when using his super speed.
- Super Stamina: Ursa can run for long periods of time without getting tired.
- Heat Vision: Ursa can also project force with her heat vision.
- Super Hearing: Ursa can hear indirect whispers and both sides of telephone conversations.
- Super Breath: Her breath is powerful enough to freeze water solid.
- Super Vision: Ursa has the ability to see things miles away.
Ursa is vulnerable to Kryptonite, radioactive remnants of his home planet, Krypton. The known variations of kryptonite affect him in different ways.
- Kryptonite renders Ursa physically weak and painfully ill.
Behind the ScenesEdit
Actress Caroline Munro turned down the opportunity to play Ursa in Superman in favor of her role as Naomi in the 1977 James Bond film The Spy Who Loved Me.